Milner Milner Commercial logo

Milner Commercial
Chartered Surveyors

01332 734 734

Quick Search…


« Back to previous page

Energy Performance Certificate Requirements


Don't get caught out when Trading Standards Shout...

Since 4 January 2009 it has been a legal requirement that for all commercial property transactions an Energy Performance Certificate is lodged on the National Register. There are some exemptions which may apply so to avoid penalty contact us to see if you need an EPC.


What happens after I engage the Assessor?

  • The property will be inspected in detail to collect necessary data
  • The Assessor will load all data onto software to run the calculation
  • The Certificate is produced together with the Recommendation Report
  • The Assessor lodges the EPC onto the National Register
  • The Certificate is valid for 10 years (unless changes occur to the property)



  • This work is part of European legislation - The Energy Performance of Buildings Directive - which all member states must adopt.
  • Trading Standards are given the task of monitoring compliance.
  • Penalty (minimum £500) will be incurred for non-compliance.
  • 28 day rolling penalty program for continued non-compliance.


For further information or to discuss your requirements please contact us on: